Immune System Support: What Else Can You Do? December 14, 2017
Tired of being sick all the time? Can’t catch a break between a cold, flu, and allergies? It could be that your immune system needs support.
Why Does My Immune System Weaken?
The immune system, as the name implies, is a system, not a single organ. To work correctly, your immune system requires balanced support. Researchers have been studying the effects of diet, exercise, age, psychological stress, and other factors on immune response for many years. Some interesting facts are worth taking into consideration when it comes to understanding why you may be getting sick often:
- As we get older, our immune response capability decreases.
- Micronutrient deficiencies — for example, deficiencies of zinc, selenium, iron, copper, folic acid, and vitamins A, B6, C, and E — alter immune responses.
- Emotional stress is linked to many types of illnesses, including stomach upset, and heart disease
- Just like a healthy and balanced diet, exercise contributes to general good health and therefore to a healthy immune system.
Following a general good-health life plan is the natural first step to keeping your immune system strong and healthy.
Give Your Immune System the Boost it Needs
But what if your life is too stressful, you don’t have time to eat well, sleep enough, or exercise as often as you want? That’s when you need supplements to fill in the gaps! Here are a few of the best choices for immune support:
- Vitamin D - Vitamin D turns on key peptides in your immune system that triggers a strong anti-microbial response, allowing you to quickly and effectively fight off invaders before they can develop into an infection.
- Vitamin C - Research shows that Vitamin C can reduce the duration of a common cold. It is known that cells of the immune system can accumulate Vitamin C and need it to perform their tasks. Also, Vitamin C improves the absorption of iron from plant-based foods.
- Probiotics - In recent research, probiotics showed therapeutic potential for several immune response-related diseases, such as allergy, eczema, viral infection, and potentiating vaccination responses. Taking a daily probiotic that contains at least 20 billion CFU (Colony Forming Units) is a great way to boost your immune system.
- Antioxidants - Adequate amounts of neutralizing antioxidants are required to prevent damage to the immune cells themselves. Oxidant-mediated tissue injury is particularly dangerous to the immune system. Good antioxidants you can add to your diet are Beta-carotene, Vitamin E and N-Acetylcysteine (NAC).
The immune system is dependent on precise cell-to-cell communication for optimal function, and any damage to the systems involved will result in a reduced immune response.
We Can Help
If you are feeling run down or constantly getting sick, it could be that your immune system needs help. Our Online Wellness Store is well equipped with supplements that can give your system the boost it needs. Don’t suffer in silence, reach out and get help. If you’d like to talk to someone, you can call us or visit us at our Jacksonville Beach location in Florida. We wish you WELL!